Thursday, February 11, 2010

My weekend in LA!

So, you would think after my exhausting week in Puerto Rico I might want to take some time to relax, sleep, and just in general not be lost in the jungle - but Adam invited me to come out to LA with him...3 days after we got back from the island. Adam works for SpaceX and they were having their Christmas party out in LA and I was lucky enough to be Adam's date!

Adam picked me up at LAX with a coffee in hand and we immediately headed down to meet up with some of his coworkers at Manhattan Beach. Drinking on a companies dime is always fun, and a big group of us hopped from bar to bar. We got pretty hungry around 2 in the morning and head to a local restaurant for some grub before crashing back at the hotel.

Early the next morning...around 6 something...after only a couple hours of sleep I got woken up by Adam. I know that I personally have a ton of energy for a person, but Adam has an infinite store of it. We grabbed some coffee and head to Griffith Park for an early morning hike. Griffith Park has plenty of dusty trails going up and down the hills and is apparently a really popular place to fitness walk - you know what I'm talking about - people in their fancy workout clothes with their arms pumping, fast walking, and essential dog. It seems that from most every hill there is another breathtaking view of the LA skyline with the ocean in the distance and you can even get relatively close to the famous Hollywood sign.

After our brisk morning stroll through the park (haha!) we drove down to Venice Beach! On my previous trip to LA, I managed to get hit by a bus on my drive down to Venice beach and as a result never made it there. I was excited to finally get to fulfill my silly dream of rollerblading along the beach - Adam, who grew up out in LA didn't share my same awesome dream and he rented a skateboard to look like less of a tool than me and we had a great time rolling down the beach. I was definitely a little shaky at first and I'm not quite sure how I didn't run into anybody on the crowded strip. We went all the way down to Santa Monica pier and I removed my blades so we could walk around for a while.

After my rollerblading fix, we met up with some of his coworkers at Club Sushi out at Hermosa Beach. We walked along the boardwalk near where Adam use to lifeguard back in High School before heading to yet another beach in Palos Verdes. The beach in PV was super rocky and apparently a popular place to go spear fishing...the water is so cold that I don't get how anybody goes in - even if they have a wetsuit on. PV is where Adam grew up and where his mom still lives so we head to his house to get ready for the work party.

The party was fun with its open bar, dinnertime comedic ballet, and the coolest photo booth ever with a treasure chest of costumes and a Mars backdrop. You can bet we took full advantage of that! After our extremely full day...we went to bed relatively early.


We woke up not too ridiculously early and went and grabbed brunch down at one of the beaches (I can't keep them straight...) before I head to catch my flight back home and back to reality. :P

No comments: