Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Lazy Savannah Weekend

Thank goodness for long weekends! AK & I decided to spend a weekend in Savannah since we both had work off (thank you MLK) on Monday.

Early on Saturday morning we first headed down to Macon since my girls (my prep-ops that I coach) had their first gymnastics meet of the season. I was super excited because this was my first gymnastics meet as a coach rather than a gymnast! I will never know how AK survived sitting through that meet (he might have had a book to help him out a little), but my girls did well! We grabbed a bite to eat before heading down I-16 to Savannah.

Back in the day (lol, a couple of years ago) I use to co-op for Gulfstream in Savannah, so I know the city well and thankfully have a bunch of good friends in the city still. We stayed at my friend Travis' apartment downtown Savannah - such a good location since it was walking distance to everything! After a couple drinks at his house (Natty Light and plastic bottled vodka - Travis keeps it real), we walked downtown and hit up a couple of Bars - including Savannah Smiles, a dueling piano bar and one of my favorites!

The next day, AK and I visited the Bonaventure Cemetery - a truely creepy looking place with the huge oak trees covered in droopy Spanish moss and located right on the Savannah river. We got out our mountain bikes and biked up and down every dirt road in the cemetery. Thankfully we got a bit of biking in, because the rain thwarted our plans to bike out to Tybee Island. We decided to drive out to the beach anyway - and then it started to pour. We decided that it was a good day for a movie and ended up going to see Benjamin Buttons.

We drove back into downtown and ate outside under the heat lamps at Tubby's on river street. The live music went along with our delicious seafood perfectly. The rest of the night was much more low key than the first since Travis did have to work the following day.

We got to sleep in on Monday (man, I love getting paid to be lazy) and then we had plans to hit up Mrs. Wilkes' Dining room - the most amazing southern food I have ever eaten and they usually have a line that goes down the block of people waiting to get seated. Unfortunately, Mrs. Wilkes' Dining room was closed, not just for the day....but for January. But our desire for a really good lunch need not fear, because Soho South Cafe was there to save us with their amazing tomato bisque, grilled cheese sandwiches, and mediterranean wraps. mmmmm

Sadly, good & lazy weekends need to end and it was back to Atlanta we went.


No comments: